Studying in the US

In the United States there are two types of undergraduate degrees that offer a wide array of academic programs and majors for all students.

To be eligible for admission you will need to complete the TOEFL as well as the SAT.

TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language. The test is designed to test your ability to use and understand English at a university level. Test sections include reading, listening, speaking, and writing. In Sweden, there are testing dates throughout the year in Stockholm and Malmö.


SAT stands for Scholastic Aptitude Test and has sections in reading, math, writing, and language. The test is designed to cover what you have learned in high school and what you should know to do well in college. For international students the high school curriculum is not the same as in the US so it is important that you take time to prepare for the test on your own. Athletes Abroad advises you on how to prepare for the test and provides you with study materials that will help you succeed.


Bachelors Degree
A Bachelor’s degree is what is typically referred to as a College degree in the United States. There are over 2,000 colleges and universities offering four year programs in which students can earn a bachelor’s degree. The first two years usually consist of a general education curriculum that covers a range of subjects including social sciences, humanities, English, history, mathematics, and natural or physical sciences. After the first two years’ students begin to focus their studies on their major of choice. Each university offers its own academic programs and majors.


Associates Degree
An Associate degree is offered at junior and community colleges and usually takes about two years to complete. Students often earn their Associates degree and then transfer to a four-year institution to complete their bachelor’s degree.